How Does Telemedicine WorkMay 26, 2018 in
How Does Telemedicine Work in Healthcare?
Telemedicine is the use of technology that enables remote healthcare. Basically it makes it possible for physicians to treat patients whenever needed and wherever the patient is, by using a computer or smartphone.
Here are a few of the situations in which telemedicine can be a great alternative to the traditional health care system:
- Diagnoses of common medical problems such as headache, sore throat, back pain, digestive troubles
- Inquiries about various medical issues for home treatments
- Post-treatment checkins or follow up for chronic care
- Faster refill of short-term medical prescriptions
- Holidays, weekends, late night or any other situation when regular medical care is not possible
- Patient inability to leave the house due to sickness or bad weather conditions
Making use of telemedicine services is very easy. Traditionally, the service uses an online account or a toll-free phone number. Patients request a visit, submitting basic information on their condition, and then the physician either accepts or declines the visit, or schedules it for the future. Telemedicine is a wonderful technology, but may not be suitable for every practice or every situation. Before making use of it, assess your patient’s needs and make sure it’s an appropriate time to use the technology.